Welcome to the Rocky Mountains “Sawtooth” Achievement Flights set in beautiful central Idaho. This set of flights will tour, at below canyon rim level, the many scenic and narrow river canyons in this area, including the canyons of the Salmon, Snake and Yellowstone Rivers.
This is a bush country route. Some of the backcountry strips are extremely challenging: very short with difficult approaches. This calls for your best bush plane. You will need a plane that can take off and land in strips of as little as 1200 feet, climb to 10,000 feet occasionally, and, ideally, cruise around 100 kts, at least for the later legs.
- “Into the Mountains” KSMN to 12ID (2000 ft landing strip) (69 nm)
- “Down the River” 12ID to 3U2 (73 nm)
- “Challenging Strips” 3U2 to U81 (74 nm) NOTE: In the sim, destination is KCHL
- “Up and Over” U81 to 75C (2800 ft landing strip) (64 nm)
- “Down and Out” 75C to D69 (1471 ft landing strip!!) (68 nm)
- “Hell’s Canyon” D69 to 25U (72 nm)
- “Chief Joseph Country” 25U to KMYL (90 nm)
- “Sawtooth Range” KYML to U87 (103 nm)
- “Sun Valley” U87 to KAOC (90 nm)
- “Grand Tetons” KAOC to KJAC (119 nm)
- “Yellowstone” KJAC to 29S (104 nm)
- “Big Sky” 29S to KBTM (106 nm)
- “Back Home to Salmon” KBTM to KSMN (100 nm)
Recommended simulator: Microsoft Flight Simulator
Recommended aircraft: Small GA Single/Taildragger
In order to get credit for our flights, please adhere the below rules:
- Register for the event.
- Fly during sponsored events or with two or more pilots online.
- Up to four flight legs a week across all DTP achievements.
- Real Weather / Real Time / Real Charts / No Slewing / No Time Compression.
- Any aircraft and form of navigation allowed.
- If unable to complete a flight, land and save the flight.