Here we go to “a land down under, where beer does flow and men chunder…”
Welcome to the Tasmania “Tassie” Achievement Flights set in beautiful Tasmania Island. Nicknamed Tassie, Tasmania is an island state of Australia. It is located 240 km (150 mi) to the south of the Australian mainland, separated by Bass Strait. The state encompasses the main island of Tasmania, the 26th-largest island in the world, and the surrounding 334 islands. The state has a population of about 541,000 people. The state capital and largest city is Hobart, with around 40 percent of the population living in the Greater Hobart area.
We will touch all 41 airports on Tasmania and the nearby islands on a counter-clockwise tour that charts a lightning-shaped, zigzag path all around the island, visiting some of the outback, scenic features of this sparsely populated island, including farm lands, remote mountain ranges, large natural lakes, and many golden beaches.
Most of these airports are undeveloped grass or dirt airstrips, but most of these have sufficient length and width for single-engine GA aircraft.
- “Leaving Launceton” YMLT to YWYY (107 nm)
- “Hunter Islands Tour” YWYY to YBFR (111 nm)
- “Savage River Run” YBFR to YSRN (101 nm)
- “Highland Lakes” YSRN to YQUN (111 nm)
- “Rugged Southwest” YQUN to YGVE (108 nm)
- “Bountiful Bays” YGVE to YLAG (107 nm)
- “Friendly Beaches” YLAG to YWOD (101 nm)
- “Central Lakes And Valley” YWOD to YCAE (105 nm)
- “Bay of Fires” YCAE to YSCC (93 nm)
- “Flinders Island Tour” YSCC to YCBN (107 nm)
- “Hopping Home” YCBN to YLMT (106 nm)
For those who would like MSFS flight plans for each of the 11 legs, the files are located here: <.pln files in zip file>
Recommended simulator: Microsoft Flight Simulator
Recommended aircraft: Small GA Single/Taildragger
In order to get credit for our flights, please adhere the below rules:
- Register for the event.
- Fly during sponsored events or with two or more pilots online.
- Up to four flight legs a week across all DTP achievements.
- Real Weather / Real Time / Real Charts / No Slewing / No Time Compression.
- Any aircraft and form of navigation allowed.
- If unable to complete a flight, land and save the flight.