Introduction to DCS and F/A-18C for the Beginner
We will be conducting a series of ongoing Saturday training workshops to introduce new aviators to DCS and the F/A-18C. No experience is necessary. If you have ever wanted to give DCS a try and have not known where to start and enjoy a calm and relaxed environment with like-minded others, this is the place for you.
When: < self-study >
Where: TeamSpeak3 @ ts3.digitalthemepark.com
– DCS World Open Beta v2.5
– DCS F/A-18C (purchased add-on)
– TeamSpeak 3 & SRS
Note: Don’t worry if you are unsure about downloading DCS from Eagle Dynamics or Steam as we can sort that out.
Here are a few of the topics we will be covering:
- What is DCS (Digital Combat Simulator)?
- How does it differentiate and complement other simulators you may be used to.
- Installation of DCS World Open Beta v2.5 (Eagle Dynamics and Steam delivery systems)
- Navigating around the DCS Graphical User Interface (GUI).
- Recommended settings for graphics (monitors and Virtual Reality(VR) headsets), audio, etc. specific to your hardware.
- Configuring your controller(s) and recommended tuning, etc.
- Optimal settings for TeamSpeak 3. Later in the course, we will complement the audio with Simple Radio System (SRS) and provide setup and configuration.
- Introduction to the multi-role F/A18C Hornet fighter aircraft.
- Tour of the cockpit and systems overview.
- Preflight, startup, taxi, takeoff, and shutdown procedures.
- Heads-Up Display (HUD), Up-Front Controller (UFC), and the Integrated Fuel & Engine Indicator (IFEI).
- Visual Flight Rules (VFR) patterns and airfield landings.
- Automatic Direction Finder (ADF) and Tactical Air Navigation (TACAN) Navigation.
- Waypoint Navigation.
- MIDS/Link16 Datalink and Situational Awareness (SA) Display.
- Flight Performance Advisory System (FPAS)
- Formation Flying and Tanker Refueling
- Carrier Operations, Taxi, Takeoff, and CASE I Recovery.
- Carrier Operations for CASE III Recovery
- 20-mm M61 Vulcan Gun (Air-to-Air Mode).
- AIM-9L/M “Sidewinder” Short Range Air-to-Air Missile.
- AIM-7 “Sparrow” Short-Medium Range Air-to-Air Missile.
- AIM-120B/C Medium Range Air-to-Air Missile.
- Track While Scan (TWS) Radar Mode.
- Air-to-Ground (AG) Rockets and Gun.
- AUTO to CCIP Bombing and Unguided Bombs.
- Litening II Pod and Laser Guided Bombs.
- AGM-65F and AGM-65E Maverick Bombs.
- AGM-62 ER/DL Walleye II Bomb.
- AGM-88C HARM Missile.
- AGM-84D Harpoon.
- AGM-154A and AGM-154C, JSOW and JDAM Bombs.
Below are the Workshop events: (latest to earliest)